“I haven’t been provided for in my relative’s will - what can I do?”


In the UK, certain people can make a claim against another person’s estate if they haven’t been reasonably provided for - either as a result of the terms of their will or because they have died without a will under the Inheritance Act 1975.

Who can make a claim?

If you are the deceased person’s spouse or civil partner, former spouse or civil partner, cohabitee (for more than 2 years), child, someone treated as a child, or someone else who was financially dependent on the deceased, you are able to bring forward a claim. 

What is “reasonable financial provision”?

Under the Act, if you were the deceased’s spouse or civil partner, the court can make an order that you receive financial provision from the estate that would be reasonable in all the circumstances, whether or not the provision is required for your maintenance.

If you fall into one of the other categories of claimant, you can only claim for what is reasonable in all the circumstances for your maintenance. 

For example, if you lived with the deceased for the two years up to their death, you may apply for reasonable provision for your maintenance. One way a court might address this is to look at the shortfall in your income if you were to continue to have a reasonable standard of living. This could mean a monthly payment was awarded by the court, or a lump sum instead of a monthly payment, calculated by reference to your life expectancy.

What other types of order can the court make?

As well as regular payments and lump sums, the court can order for property to be transferred to you, for assets to be placed on trust for you, for the acquisition of property, and for variations to be made to pre- and post- nuptial agreements.

What will the court take into account when making an order?

The court will look at:
your financial resources and needs, as well as the financial resources and needs of the beneficiaries of the estate and any other claimants
the deceased’s obligations and responsibilities towards you, the beneficiaries and any other claimants
the size and nature of the estate. For example, if it is a very large estate it might be easier to provide for everyone
any physical or mental disability you may have, and likewise the beneficiaries and any other claimants
any other matters, including conduct, which it feels is relevant

There are additional matters the court will take into account for different types of applicants - for example if you are the deceased’s spouse or civil partner, the court will take into account the length of your marriage or civil partnership.

How do I make a claim?

A claim under the Act is made under Part 8 of the Civil Procedure Rules. It must usually be made within 6 months of a grant of probate being issued. You are strongly advised to seek legal advice to help you to do this. 

Do I need to speak with a lawyer?

Where possible, you should always speak with a lawyer specialised in this area of law. For example, a member of SFE who is experienced in dealing with these matters.
You can find a local SFE lawyer near you here:  https://www.sfe.legal/find-a-lawyer 


Kay Baker 

Senior Associate Solicitor
Birkett Long LLP

I qualified as a solicitor in 2007 and am a full accredited member of SFE (of course), STEP and ACTAPS. I now specialise in contentious trust, probate and Court of Protection matters. I am also an accredited civil and commercial mediator and believe strongly in ADR as a means of clients keeping control of their disputes. I aim to give straightforward, clear advice and support my clients through their bereavement as well as their disputes. 

Birkett Long: Based in Essex, with offices in Chelmsford, Basildon and Colchester, Birkett Long is focused on people – our clients, our employees, our business partners and those in our local communities. In 2021, we opened a European office in Malta, ensuring our clients continue to be in the best position in Europe following Brexit.

Our specialist lawyers, attorneys, independent financial advisers and HR specialists work in dedicated teams to offer clients the full range of legal advice, whether it’s in business or at home.

At home
We’ll guide you through what can be a complex maze of procedures and rules without using legal jargon, allowing you to rest assured that your legal matter has been dealt with by experts. You will be kept informed every step of the way. We are upfront and honest about both progress and fees, so that there are no surprises.

In business
At Birkett Long, we understand that every business is different. It doesn’t matter if you are an international enterprise, a local firm or a new company just setting up, we know you need the best possible advice so that important decisions are straightforward and cost effective. We want to help you achieve your objectives. We will invest time to work through every step as you build your business, advising on day to day legal issues, structure, business protection and property transactions, or simply being there when things don’t go the way you anticipated. Our aim is to maximise our contribution to the financial success of your business!

Birkett Long is here for good.