What are my options if I don’t have any family?

Deciding how best to manage your money and health when you get older can be difficult, even when you’ve got family around to help. So for people who have no close family, these important decisions can cause a lot of worry.

But you can still create a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) if you don’t have any children or other close family members in whom to entrust your affairs. Many people in this situation choose to ask friends to act as their attorneys; alternatively you can ask a professional such as a solicitor who specialises in this area of the law to act for you. Note that solicitors will be entitled to charge for this work and can explain the possible costs involved.